“Keep your mind open; challenge yourself before you challenge others.”
― Debasish Mridha
As a creative person there are many qualities or attributes within our character that can be tremendous assets to our growth and the enjoyment we take in our creativity and artistic endeavours. Perhaps none is so important, though, as our ability to stay open.
So, what is this openness of which I speak? What do we want to remain open to…
- seeing the beauty in the world around us, being open to nature and all her majesty
- acknowledging the beauty within ourselves – even as we realize our failings or imperfections
- learning and how that learning might challenge us on many levels – intellectually, physically, spiritually, emotionally and even financially!
- creating lots of exciting plans and then dancing with the inevitable changes that will take place (both with our art and our lives)
- being willing to fail and fail openly realizing that our successes will be built on a strong foundation of attempts
- working with radical new ideas…even when they scare us!
“Always be open to inspiration. You never know where it may come from. Begin with an open mind, end with an inspired heart.”
– Sheri Fink
- living constantly with the onslaught of change including changes in our levels of energy and motivation
- acknowledging our cognitive filters and being willing to entertain opposing points of view
- requesting critique and constructive criticism as part of our learning plan
- being continually and insatiably curious about life and everything it has to serve up…the good, the bad and the ugly!
- joyously creating even when we have no idea what we are doing
- and lastly, always staying open to the greatest force in the universe – Love. Our work needs our love as does the world. Let’s see how we can stay open to this most powerful force and serve it up to one another everyday!
I wish you hours of joyous creating!